9 Versions of “Over The Rainbow”
Music helps soothe the soul, especially during troubled times and is my personal solace and meditation. I enjoy listening to all kinds of music and I play classical guitar at the moment. Not counting my post on Melody Gardot, this is my first blog post of many to follow about music.
After a poll taken by a select group in 2001 the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) listed “Over The Rainbow” by Harold Arlen with lyrics by E. Y. Harburg as the American “Song of the Century“. Below are nine different versions on YouTube of this popular song:
1. The original with Judy Garland from “The Wizard of Oz”
2. Israel Kamakawiwo’ole popular Hawaiian version
3. Eva Cassidy’s haunting rendition
4. Patti LaBelle’s amazing voice
5. Melody Gardot bossa nova beat
6. Tommy Emmanuel’s amazing guitar
7. Eric Clapton’s blues rendition
8. Keith Jarrett’s Jazz Piano
9. Katherine McPhee (American Idol)
I include this version here because it is the only version that has the introductory verses (but not all of them!).